Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Soda Can Solution

When I was a young child living in Florida, my family lived in one the few homes on the block without a solar hot water heater. I never knew why my parents opted out of free hot water, but I've been obsessed with solar technology ever since.

Solar Heat For The Masses


One of my all time favorite products was designed by a Newfoundlander and is called the Cansolair. The Cansolair is an inexpensive solar panel made out of Plexiglas and recycled aluminum cans that can heat about 800 square feet of living space during the day. Here is a video from the CBC showing how the device works.

A solar heater of similar design could be made for $2-4 a square foot and significantly reduce the oil consumption of a mobile home.

Gordon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have seen this concept several times across the internet, but wanted to build my own.

I used Black plastic pipe used for french drains to get the same effect for my heat chamber and it worked pretty well. No drilling of cans. This stuff works.

Take a look if interested.

http://gravitygarden.com/powergarden/?page_id=11